Introducing the Authorised Economic Operator in Abu Dhabi
What is an Authorized Economic Operator (AEO) Programme?
A global customs programme recommended by the World Customs Organisation (WCO), implemented by many Customs Administrations globally; based on a partnership between the private sector and the Customs Administration and it is based on the voluntary compliance to the criteria and requirements approved for the programme by the companies involved in the global supply chain operating in international trade and thus benefiting from the facilities and incentives granted to certified companies
What is the Authorized Economic Operator - United Arab Emirates programme - UAEO?
A customs programme implemented in the UAE, similar to global AEO programmes, according to which customs requirements are voluntary complied with by a supply chain companies operating across the nation, as companies and institutions adhering to these standards are granted membership of the programme and thus obtain all approved facilities and privileges .
What is the objective of the Authorized Economic Operator Programme (AEO)?
The main objective of the AEO programme is to provide support and strengthen the partnership between Customs Administrations and the business community through the enhancement of compliance, security measures and trade facilitation by identifying compliant and secured “Operators” within the business community. Hence, encouraging best practices at all levels across the international supply chain.
What is the criteria of eligibility for the UAEO programme?
The below criteria must be met in order to apply for joining the AEO Program:
- Acceptable record of compliance with laws and regulations
- System in place to manage commercial records and, if required, transport records, allowing for appropriate Customs Controls
- The Financial viability and solvency of the business entity seeking to join the programme
- Conducts business activities and operations in the United Arab Emirates and particularly in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi
- The business entity conducts legal Customs activities in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi
- The business entity has a Customs code issued by the Abu Dhabi Customs Administration
- One Application for Entirety of each legal business entity
- No financial or other formal thresholds
- No convictions in court for a serious criminal offence
What are the entity types that are eligible to apply for the UAEO programme?
Applicants should be a part of the global supply chain, which includes:
- Transportation companies or carriers,
- Import companies
- Export companies
- Courriers, postal companies, express transport and logistics services
- Customs Clearance companies (brokers)
- storage companies
What are the expected benefits of the UAEO programme that companies will enjoy?
- No need to submit supporting documents
- Reduction of number of declarations selected for control
- Elimination of post filing submission of supporting paper documents
- Faster clearance
- Low or zero risk score for importers
- Inspection prioritization
- Flexible inspection location
- Reduced post clearance audit
- AEO MRA Benefits
- AEO Self-guarantee
- Award of AEO certificate
- Publication of Customs AEO website
- Free use of UAEO in marketing
- Training assistance
- Dedicated key account manager
What are the steps to joining the UAEO programme?
- Submit application to the Abu Dhabi Customs Administration to join the UAEO programme UAEO@adcustoms.gov.ae
- After assessing the application and approving it by the UAEO validator team, the business entity is provided with a Self-Assessment Questionnaire (SAQ) to complete the information required by the Abu Dhabi Customs Administration
- The SAQ is analyzed and once approved, the business entity that applied is contacted by the UAEO validator team to coordinate the field validation visit
- The business entity is notified after the field verification visit of its eligibility to join the UAEO programme in the event that all conditions and requirements have been met, or it is provided with a correction plan for the gaps identified during the field verification visit to work on improving them. and coordinate another field verification visit
- Admitted companies to the programme are provided with the UAEO certificate
Frequently Asked Questions About the Authorised Economic Operator